Storm Group Blog
Check back often to find valuable insights on construction topics, tips to help protect storm damage, and other interesting news from our Minneapolis roofing company.
Many people say "contractors" are often dishonest, corrupt and cannot be trusted.
Today as a Roofing Contractor I wanted to share how it is on another side.
I think contractors as small business owners are much more vulnerable and more often become "victims" than most people think. The perception is we can take money and run away, over-bill someone, cut corners and not to do quality work.
But here are 7 things many people do not talk about:
1. Just like in any other business, we deal with theft on regular basis. Our tools, equipment, money, and intellectual property gets stolen all the time and rarely we can go after it. We have over 10 counts of theft in our business over 5 years, costing us close to $100,000k. That's 2 incidents per year, $20,000 in yearly losses!
2. People and especially big insurance companies don't pay us way more often than contractors over-bill their customers.
3. People threaten us all the time to damage our reputation. It's pure terrorism. "If you don't do this, I will write negative review everywhere". (They usually do anyway).
4. Government is not easy on roofers or siding contractors. Work comp audits, following codes, closing permits, employees-versus-subcontractors battles... You deal with people who rarely have field experience, but they tell you what to do and how to run your business and then charge you money for it.
5. Bigger doesn't mean better. We get screwed the most on big jobs especially if bigger contractors are acting as middle men. Profit margins go down, risk goes up. As a Minneapolis roofing company, I know many who went out of business after 1-2 years working on multi-million dollar deals.
6. We create jobs but it seems like no one wants to work anymore. This one is big. Contractors are forced to pay decent wages because of demand, but every year it's becoming harder and harder to find any help. How many people do you know that are looking to become a roofer or siding installer? Exactly.
7. Manufacturers, cities, insurance companies (insurance companies are big buyer of our services), and rich home owners are all turning to their attorneys immediately to drag payment, or not pay at all. I recently had a Church who refused to pay more than a reasonable bill (update will follow) and put me in contact with their lawyers, because they know we rarely want to go through that process. A Church!
Next time you think your contractor is bad, think what he is dealing with on the another side.
Thanks for reading!
You have lived in a quiet neighborhood for years and no one has ever bothered you or knocked at your door to solicit any services. Yet, that recent storm left some bad hail damage and that changed it all. Now, you have 10-20 people pounding on your door every day offering free roofing inspections and complimentary roofing services if you only choose them.
For most of us, 98% is good enough for almost everything in life. If my kids would obey me 98% of the time, I would be pretty happy. If I would be making 98% of the money that I want to make, I would be happy. I am petty sure you would agree with me.
When it comes to home improvements in your house, being 98% perfect is not bad either.
Most of us don’t expect our homes to be 100% picture perfect; as long as it looks great, we are happy and ready to write the final check.
James Hardie®, cement fiber siding giant, one of the most popular residential siding options in United States, recently was challenged by their rival LP SmartSide® in a test of durability against puncture test failures. LP SmartSide created several popular commercials of the competition that demonstrate the difference between “fiber cement” planks and engineered advanced LP SmartSide Planks. NASA oversaw the first comparison in which four projectiles were used to test the durability of both products. A baseball, golfball, river rocks, and marbles were thrown at both sidings at varying speeds from 49 MPH (Golf ball) to 120 MPH (Marbles).
Your home’s roof plays a vitally important role in protecting everything you own and love from the elements. Just imagine all the things in your life that would be ruined should your roof suddenly disappear. While it isn’t likely your entire roof will vanish, it is important to prevent smaller issues before they grow into severe problems.
In 2014, hail cost American property owners $1.71 billion in storm damage repair costs – the most of any weather event. Tornados came in second at $635 million. While hail may not cause the most devastating storm damage to properties, it does severe damage to the bank accounts of home and business owners.
Over the last 5 months, our No Roof Left Behind campaign has been the talk around the Storm Group Roofing offices. We absolutely loved getting to know the different Minneapolis homeowners who were nominated for free roof replacement. As evidenced by the countless comments, shares and likes surrounding our nominees, these are some of the most amazing people in this community and everyone is deserving of roofing services.
Ultimately, we left it up to you to decide who would be the winner of this year’s No Roof Left Behind Campaign in Hennepin County. Over 400 votes were cast for the three finalists throughout the weeklong voting period and it was a tight race to the very end. But, alas a winner of the free roof repair and replacement services had to be chosen…
After four months of countless bad roofs and many nominations, we have finally selected three finalists as part of our No Roof Left Behind campaign. We could not be more excited about how rewarding this process has already been and can’t wait for October 8th when we install the new roof! Each of the local finalists has a fascinating story to tell and all are equally deserving of free roofing services.
Take a moment to get to know our finalists below then visit the No Roof Left Behind website to vote for who you think deserves free roof replacement!
Storm Group Roofing is a highly responsive Minneapolis roofing and general contractor that is dedicated to helping property owners throughout Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the entire Twin Cities Metro area find the exterior solutions that they are looking for.
7308 Aspen Lane, Suite 118,
Brooklyn Park, MN 55428